Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Pearls in a Pod

I've owned a portable mp3 player for several years, but a few weeks ago I gave in and bought an iPod. I have to admit that I love the design (and the weight: my 'other player' weighs a ton in comparison!), but what really convinced me was the convenient access to hundred of podcasts through the iTune store. And since the store was created to promote the sale of Apple hardware, I did exactly what Steve Jobs's marketing people expected of me.
One of my favorite programs is Krista Tippett's Speaking of Faith The program airs on Nashville's WPLN 1430AM at 7:00 am on Sunday mornings - not the best time, unless you are an early riser with nothing better to do - but the podcast gives me the freedom to download the podcast and listen to it whenever it suits me (I can also repeat entire shows or listen again to the most fascinating portions of a program). By the way, you don't have to own an iPod to listen to podcasts: the files are in mp3 format and will play on just about any media player.
Another podcast I have subscribed to is a daily prayer from pray-as-you-go, produced by Jesuit Media Initiatives of London, England. Each program is about 10-12 minutes of music, a passage of Scripture, and simple questions for meditation and prayer. I listen to them mostly in the car, and they have given me beautiful moments of calm and focus in rush-hour traffic or on my way home after a very long day. They also manage to include all the lovely accents of the British Isles!

1 comment:

  1. Thomas -
    Of course I'm going to have to toot the horn for Vanderbilt, but the university has also started a podcast for our lectures on religion (as well as other lectures). You can find them on the iTunes U section of the iTunes store. I've downloaded some lectures from some other schools, but haven't gotten around to listening to them yet.

    I've also become hooked on the This American Life podcast. While it's not as explicitly theological, I think I could get a sermon or two out of each of the stories on the shows.

    ReplyDelete